Birds of Paradise: Paradisaeidae
Behavior And Reproduction, Conservation Status, Ribbon-tailed Astrapia (astrapia Mayeri): Species AccountsPHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS, GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, BIRDS OF PARADISE AND PEOPLE
VICTORIA'S RIFLEBIRD (Ptiloris victoriae): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
KING BIRD OF PARADISE (Cicinnurus regius): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
Birds of paradise are known for their bright and beautiful plumage and unique ornamental tail and head feathers. Males are almost universally more colorful than their female counterparts. Most species have a hooked bill that they use to extract insects from dead wood and tree bark. Sizes range from 6.3 to 43.3 inches (16 to 110 centimeters) in length and 0.11 to 1 pound (50 to 450 grams) in weight.
Eastern Australia, Indonesia, and New Guinea and surrounding islands.
The majority of Paradisaeidae species live in the rainforest, ranging from high altitude sub-alpine to lowland; however, one species, the glossy-mantled manucodes, inhabits savanna (or tropical grassland) woodlands as well as rainforest.
Birds of paradise eat fruits and insects.
Many people seek out members of the Paradisaeidae family to witness their elaborate courtship rituals and enjoy their beautiful plumage. Some native New Guinea tribes wear the highly prized feathers of some of the more colorful species.
- Penguins: Sphenisciformes - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Emperor Penguin (aptenodytes Forsteri): Species Accounts, Macaroni Penguin (eudyptes Chrysolophus): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, PENGUINS AND PEOPLE, C
- Woodhoopoes: Phoeniculidae - Physical Characteristics, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Green Woodhoopoe (phoeniculus Purpureus): Species Account - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, WOODHOOPOES AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Birds of Paradise: Paradisaeidae - Behavior And Reproduction
- Birds of Paradise: Paradisaeidae - Conservation Status
- Birds of Paradise: Paradisaeidae - Ribbon-tailed Astrapia (astrapia Mayeri): Species Accounts
- Birds of Paradise: Paradisaeidae - Victoria's Riflebird (ptiloris Victoriae): Species Accounts
- Birds of Paradise: Paradisaeidae - King Bird Of Paradise (cicinnurus Regius): Species Accounts
- Other Free Encyclopedias