Musky Rat-Kangaroo: Hypsiprymnodontidae
Physical Characteristics, Diet, Behavior And ReproductionGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, MUSKY RAT-KANGAROOS AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
The musky rat-kangaroo lives only in a small area of Australian rainforest in northeastern Queensland.
Musky rat-kangaroos live on the rainforest floor. They usually prefer places where there are many plants that provide good cover for them. They often live near water, such as streams and lakes, because that is where the vegetation is more dense.
The musky rat-kangaroo does not have any known particular significance to humans, except to the scientists who study them.
The musky rat-kangaroo not considered threatened in the wild. However, it is of concern to conservationists, because it lives only in a very small area of the rainforest in northeastern Queensland. Its habitat is disappearing because of clear cutting for agriculture. Because the musky rat-kangaroo lives in only one location, any severe loss of its habitat could be devastating to its population.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Triggs, Barbara. Tracks, Scats and Other Traces: A Field Guide to Australian Mammals. Oxford, U.K.: Oxford University Press, 1996.
Woods, Samuel G. Sorting Out Mammals: Everything You Want to Know About Marsupials, Carnivores, Herbivores, and More! Woodbridge, CT: Blackbirch Marketing, 1999.
Chambers Wildlife Rainforest Lodges, Tropical North Queensland, Australia. "Musky rat kangaroo." http://rainforest-australia.com/rkangaroo.htm (accessed on June 30, 2004).
Berry, Ruth and Mark Chapman. ABC TV Documentaries: Hypsi: The Forest Gardener. Aired: 1/16/2001. http://www.abc.net.au/tv/documentaries/stories/s231600.htm (Web site accessed on June 30, 2004).
- Right Whales and Bowhead Whales: Balaenidae - Physical Characteristics, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Right Whales And Bowhead Whales And People, Conservation Status - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT
- Bushbabies: Galagidae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Senegal Bushbaby (galago Senegalensis): Species Accounts, Northern Greater Bushbaby (otolemur Garnettii): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, BUSHBABIES AND PEOPL
- Musky Rat-Kangaroo: Hypsiprymnodontidae - Physical Characteristics
- Musky Rat-Kangaroo: Hypsiprymnodontidae - Diet
- Musky Rat-Kangaroo: Hypsiprymnodontidae - Behavior And Reproduction
- Other Free Encyclopedias