Physical Characteristics, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Conservation Status, Spangled Cotinga (cotinga Cayana): Species AccountsGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, COTINGAS AND PEOPLE
AMAZONIAN UMBRELLABIRD (Cephalopterus ornatus): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
GUIANAN COCK-OF-THE-ROCK (Rupicola rupicola): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
Cotingas live in southern Mexico, almost all of Central America, and in South America as far south as Argentina. The greatest number of species live in the Amazon River basin of Brazil and the Orinoco River basin of Venezuela.
Most cotingas prefer lowland tropical rainforests where they live in the middle and upper levels of the forest. Some of the larger species prefer living along rivers and streams. Only a few species live in mountainous areas at higher elevations.
Because of their bright, beautiful colors, cotingas have been hunted for their feathers, which are used as ornaments by native people. They may also be hunted for food. The feathers of some species are used in making fishing flies, lures for fish. The beauty of these birds draws birdwatchers and ecotourists, travel for the purpose of studying wildlife and the environment, from around the world, and may add indirectly to the local tourist economy.
- Pardalotes: Pardalotidae - Physical Characteristics, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Striated Pardalote (pardalotus Striatus): Species Account - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, PARDOLOTES AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Geese Ducks and Swans: Anatidae - Behavior And Reproduction, Mute Swan (cygnus Olor): Species Accounts, Canada Goose (branta Canadensis): Species Accounts - PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS, GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, GEESE DUCKS SWANS AND PEOPLE, CONSERVAT
- Cotingas: Cotingidae - Physical Characteristics
- Cotingas: Cotingidae - Diet
- Cotingas: Cotingidae - Behavior And Reproduction
- Cotingas: Cotingidae - Conservation Status
- Cotingas: Cotingidae - Spangled Cotinga (cotinga Cayana): Species Accounts
- Cotingas: Cotingidae - Amazonian Umbrellabird (cephalopterus Ornatus): Species Accounts
- Cotingas: Cotingidae - Guianan Cock-of-the-rock (rupicola Rupicola): Species Accounts
- Other Free Encyclopedias