Physical Characteristics, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Hairy Hermit (glaucis Hirsuta): Species AccountsGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, HUMMINGBIRDS AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
SPARKLING VIOLET-EAR (Colibri coruscans): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD (Calypte anna): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
Hummingbirds live in North, Central, and South America.
Hummingbirds live in coniferous forests where trees do not undergo seasonal change. They range in rainforests where year-round rain produces abundant growth and in deciduous forests where trees shed leaves during certain seasons. They are also found in grasslands, deserts, and wetlands like swamps.
For centuries, hummingbirds have fascinated people. In Latin America, people once thought the sun disguised itself as a hummingbird. In some countries, people thought they would find romance or wealth if they used a powder made of hummingbird bodies. Europeans used to decorate hats with hummingbird feathers.
During the twentieth century, laws were passed to protect hummingbirds, and modern people appreciate the beauty of the "flying jewels."
Nine hummingbird species are listed by the World Conservation Union (IUCN) as Critically Endangered, facing an extremely high risk of extinction, dying out, in the wild. Eleven species are Endangered, facing a very high risk of extinction in the wild, and nine are Vulnerable, facing a high risk of extinction. Threats to hummingbirds include loss of habitat as trees are cut down for lumber or land is used for farming.
- Fairy Bluebirds and Leafbirds: Irenidae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Fairy Bluebirds, Leafbirds, And People, Common Iora (aegithina Tiphia): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Cranes: Gruidae - Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Gray Crowned Crane (balearica Regulorum): Species Accounts, Sandhill Crane (grus Canadensis): Species Accounts - PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS, GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, CRANES AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Hummingbirds: Trochilidae - Physical Characteristics
- Hummingbirds: Trochilidae - Diet
- Hummingbirds: Trochilidae - Behavior And Reproduction
- Hummingbirds: Trochilidae - Hairy Hermit (glaucis Hirsuta): Species Accounts
- Hummingbirds: Trochilidae - Sparkling Violet-ear (colibri Coruscans): Species Accounts
- Hummingbirds: Trochilidae - Anna's Hummingbird (calypte Anna): Species Accounts
- Other Free Encyclopedias