Afro-American River Turtles: Podocnemididae
Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Conservation Status, South American River Turtle (podocnemis Expansa): Species AccountGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, AFRO-AMERICAN RIVER TURTLES AND PE
Afro-American river turtles are found in Madagascar and northern South America.
Many of these freshwater turtles live on riverbanks and in large lakes, but some also live in streams and swamps, wetlands partly covered with water. Sometimes they move into flooded forests. Their range, or the area in which they live and feed, includes Madagascar, which lies off the eastern coast of southern Africa, and northern South America.
Afro-American river turtles are mainly plant eaters; they are especially fond of fruits that drop off the trees on the shore and fall into the water. They also eat stems, leaves, and grasses. They dine on meat once in a while, and when they do, they eat insects, fishes, or other freshwater animals.
People hunt these turtles for their meat and their eggs.
- File Snakes: Acrochordidae - Physical Characteristics, Habitat, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Little File Snake (acrochordus Granulatus): Species Account - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, FILE SNAKES AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Woodsnakes and Spinejaw Snakes: Tropidophiidae - Physical Characteristics, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Southern Bromeliad Woodsnake (ungaliophis Panamensis): Species Account - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, SPINEJAW SNAKES WOODSNAKES AND PEOPLE, CONSERVA
- Afro-American River Turtles: Podocnemididae - Physical Characteristics
- Afro-American River Turtles: Podocnemididae - Behavior And Reproduction
- Afro-American River Turtles: Podocnemididae - Conservation Status
- Afro-American River Turtles: Podocnemididae - South American River Turtle (podocnemis Expansa): Species Account
- Other Free Encyclopedias