Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Hippopotamuses And People, Common Hippopotamus (hippopotamus Amphibius): Species AccountsGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, CONSERVATION STATUS
COMMON HIPPOPOTAMUS (Hippopotamus amphibius): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
PYGMY HIPPOPOTAMUS (Hexaprotodon liberiensis): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
Hippos live throughout Africa.
Common hippos like deep freshwater locations during the day, but venture out of the water at night to graze. The pygmy hippo lives in the forest and spends its day near or in water. Water is important to the hippo because if it can't submerge itself, its skin will crack from dehydration and overheating.
Hippos are vegetarians and eat mainly grasses, though the pygmy hippo also feeds on fruits and ferns. All hippos eat by nipping off the vegetation with their powerful lips. They eat about 88 pounds (40 kilograms) of grasses each night.
The pygmy hippo is listed as Vulnerable, facing a high risk of extinction, dying out, by the IUCN, and two other species are Extinct. The common hippo has a healthy population, but is vulnerable to extinction in West Africa. The primary threat to hippos is loss of habitat.
- Solenodons: Solenodontidae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Hispaniolan Solenodon (solenodon Paradoxus): Species Account - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, SOLENODONS AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Tenrecs: Tenrecidae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Conservation Status, Common Tenrec (tenrec Ecaudatus): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, TENRECS AND PEOPLE
- Hippopotamuses: Hippopotamidae - Physical Characteristics
- Hippopotamuses: Hippopotamidae - Behavior And Reproduction
- Hippopotamuses: Hippopotamidae - Hippopotamuses And People
- Hippopotamuses: Hippopotamidae - Common Hippopotamus (hippopotamus Amphibius): Species Accounts
- Hippopotamuses: Hippopotamidae - Pygmy Hippopotamus (hexaprotodon Liberiensis): Species Accounts
- Other Free Encyclopedias