Zebras Horses and Asses: Equidae
Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Grevy's Zebra (equus Grevyi): Species AccountsGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, EQUIDS AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
KIANG (Equus kiang): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
PRZEWALSKI'S HORSE (Equus caballus przewalskii): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
Equids live in Africa below the Sahara Desert, in the Middle East, Arabia, Central Asia, and Mongolia.
Equids graze throughout the day, and various species live in deserts to grassland and shrubland (similar to grassland, only with small trees and shrubs as well).
Equids eat grasses high in fiber, which makes them more difficult to chew and digest. Their teeth are made for breaking down the reedy plants, however, and their single stomach allows for quick digestion.
Domestic horses have played a significant role in the social and agricultural progress of humankind. Ironically, however, it has been humankind that has decimated the wild equid populations through hunting, habitat destruction, and the demand for livestock farming.
Of the seven species, one is Extinct, died out, in the Wild; one is Extinct altogether; one is Critically Endangered, facing an extremely high risk of extinction; two are Endangered, facing a very high risk of extinction; and one is Vulnerable, facing a high risk of extinction. Wild equids are threatened primarily by hunters, but also by livestock grazing in their habitat, and inter-breeding with domestic horses and donkeys.
- Titis Sakis and Uakaris: Pitheciidae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Pitheciids And People, Conservation Status, White-faced Saki (pithecia Pithecia):species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET
- West Indian Sloths and Two-Toed Tree Sloths: Megalonychidae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Two-toed Tree Sloths And People, Hoffman's Two-toed Sloth (choloepus Hoffmanni): Species Account - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, CONSERVA
- Zebras Horses and Asses: Equidae - Physical Characteristics
- Zebras Horses and Asses: Equidae - Behavior And Reproduction
- Zebras Horses and Asses: Equidae - Grevy's Zebra (equus Grevyi): Species Accounts
- Zebras Horses and Asses: Equidae - Kiang (equus Kiang): Species Accounts
- Zebras Horses and Asses: Equidae - Przewalski's Horse (equus Caballus Przewalskii): Species Accounts
- Other Free Encyclopedias