Dugong and Sea Cow: Dugongidae
Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Conservation Status, Steller's Sea Cow (hydrodamalis Gigas): Species AccountsGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, SEA COWS DUGONGS AND PEOPLE
Dugongs live in the tropical and subtropical Indo-Pacific. Steller's sea cow was found in the western North Pacific Ocean.
Dugongids live in coastal waters that contain sea grass. Steller's sea cow lived with macroalgae, large, plant-like algae (AL-jee) also called kelp.
Dugongs primarily feed on sea grasses that grow on the ocean's floor in shallow water. Steller's sea cow reportedly fed on the surface and was never recorded as diving. Because the sea cow was toothless, it had to crush its food between studded plates at the front of their upper and lower jaws.
Steller's sea cow was hunted to extinction within thirty years of its discovery. Dugongs have been hunted for their meat and other body parts, and increasingly are victims of boating and fishing accidents.
- Spiny Rats: Echimyidae - Physical Characteristics, Habitat, Behavior And Reproduction, Spiny Rat (proechimys Semispinosus): Species Account - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, DIET, SPINY RATS AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Squirrel Monkeys and Capuchins: Cebidae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Common Squirrel Monkey (saimiri Sciureus): Species Accounts, White-throated Capuchin (cebus Capucinus):species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, CEBID
- Dugong and Sea Cow: Dugongidae - Physical Characteristics
- Dugong and Sea Cow: Dugongidae - Behavior And Reproduction
- Dugong and Sea Cow: Dugongidae - Conservation Status
- Dugong and Sea Cow: Dugongidae - Steller's Sea Cow (hydrodamalis Gigas): Species Accounts
- Dugong and Sea Cow: Dugongidae - Dugong (dugong Dugon): Species Accounts
- Other Free Encyclopedias