Old World Leaf-Nosed Bats: Hipposideridae
Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Conservation Status, Trident Leaf-nosed Bat (asellia Tridens): Species AccountGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, OLD WORLD LEAF-NOSED BATS AND PEOPLE
Old World leaf-nosed bats are found in tropical (hot and humid weather) and subtropical areas of the Old World, meaning the part of the world made up of Australia, Africa, Asia, and Europe. They are found in Africa and southern Asia, east to the Philippine Islands, the Solomon Islands, and Australia.
These bats live in a range of habitats that include deserts and rainforests. They roost (settle or rest) in caves, underground openings, buildings, and hollow trees. One species, the fulvous (FUL-vus) leaf-nosed bat, has been found in burrows of a large porcupine in Africa.
Old World leaf-nosed bats eat insects, although little is known about the specific insects that make up their diet.
These bats eat many insects that are considered pests to people. Some species have been harmed by humans destroying their habitat.
- Pocket Gophers: Geomyidae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Pocket Gophers And People, Valley Pocket Gopher (thomomys Bottae): Species Account - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Monito Del Monte: Microbiotheria - Physical Characteristics, Habitat, Behavior And Reproduction - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, DIET, MONITOS DEL MONTE AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Old World Leaf-Nosed Bats: Hipposideridae - Physical Characteristics
- Old World Leaf-Nosed Bats: Hipposideridae - Behavior And Reproduction
- Old World Leaf-Nosed Bats: Hipposideridae - Conservation Status
- Old World Leaf-Nosed Bats: Hipposideridae - Trident Leaf-nosed Bat (asellia Tridens): Species Account
- Other Free Encyclopedias