Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Centipedes And People, Conservation Status, Scolopender (scolopendra Morsitans): Species AccountsGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET
HOUSE CENTIPEDE (Scutigera coleoptrata): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
Centipedes are found on all continents except Antarctica. A few species have become widespread, accidentally carried to other parts of the world with plants or soil.
Centipedes are found in all kinds of habitats, from sea level to high mountain peaks. A few species prefer to live in caves. Some individual species are found in a wide variety of situations under bark, in leaf litter, or under rocks.
All centipedes are predators. They feed on soft-bodied insects, spiders, other centipedes, and worms. Larger species will attack small mice, frogs, toads, birds, lizards, and snakes. Animals are killed by venom injected by the fangs, then grasped by the fangs and the first several pairs of walking legs. A few species may eat plant materials if they cannot find animal prey.
- Diplurans: Diplura - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, No Common Name (holjapyx Diversiunguis): Species Account - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, DIPLURANS AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Springtails: Collembola - Physical Characteristics, Habitat, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Springtails And People, Lucerne Flea (sminthurus Viridis): Species Account - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Centipedes: Chilopoda - Physical Characteristics
- Centipedes: Chilopoda - Behavior And Reproduction
- Centipedes: Chilopoda - Centipedes And People
- Centipedes: Chilopoda - Conservation Status
- Centipedes: Chilopoda - Scolopender (scolopendra Morsitans): Species Accounts
- Centipedes: Chilopoda - House Centipede (scutigera Coleoptrata): Species Accounts
- Other Free Encyclopedias