True Frogs: Ranidae
Physical Characteristics, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Conservation Status, Micro Frog (microbatrachella Capensis): Species AccountsGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, TRUE FROGS AND PEOPLE
GOLIATH FROG (Conraua goliath): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
NILGIRI TROPICAL FROG (Micrixalus phyllophilus): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
POINTED-TONGUE FLOATING FROG (Occidozyga lima): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
BULLFROG (Rana catesbeiana): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
BROWN FROG (Rana temporaria): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
True frogs live in much of the world, including most of North and Central America, the north end and parts of central South America, most of Europe and Asia, much of Africa, and Australia. Some members of the family are also found on islands in the ocean. Some populations, like those in much of Australia, were introduced to these areas by humans and previously did not live there.
Many species live near water, such as a pond, quiet stream, or marsh. A few, like the goliath frog, make their homes in fast-moving rivers and rapids. Other true frogs, however, spend most of their lives away from water in forests or grasslands, and only return to ponds or wetlands once a year for breeding. Of these land-living frogs, some do not return to the water at all and instead lay their eggs in moist places on land.
People from many countries, including the United States, eat frog legs. The legs usually come from large true frogs, often bullfrogs that have been captured from the wild. Some Asian and African people also make frog soups and other meals out of entire frogs and tadpoles. In addition, some people in different parts of the world use certain parts of frogs as medicines.
- Squeakers and Cricket Frogs: Arthroleptidae - Physical Characteristics, Habitat, Behavior And Reproduction, Conservation Status, Common Squeaker (arthroleptis Stenodactylus): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, DIET, CRICKET FROGS SQUEAKERS AND PEOPLE
- Amero-Australian Treefrogs: Hylidae - Physical Characteristics, Habitat, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Amero-australian Treefrogs And People - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE
- True Frogs: Ranidae - Physical Characteristics
- True Frogs: Ranidae - Diet
- True Frogs: Ranidae - Behavior And Reproduction
- True Frogs: Ranidae - Conservation Status
- True Frogs: Ranidae - Micro Frog (microbatrachella Capensis): Species Accounts
- True Frogs: Ranidae - Goliath Frog (conraua Goliath): Species Accounts
- True Frogs: Ranidae - Nilgiri Tropical Frog (micrixalus Phyllophilus): Species Accounts
- True Frogs: Ranidae - Pointed-tongue Floating Frog (occidozyga Lima): Species Accounts
- True Frogs: Ranidae - Bullfrog (rana Catesbeiana): Species Accounts
- True Frogs: Ranidae - Brown Frog (rana Temporaria): Species Accounts
- Other Free Encyclopedias