Ruthven's Frog: Allophrynidae
Physical Characteristics, Geographic Range, Habitat, Behavior And Reproduction, Ruthven's Frogs And PeopleDIET, CONSERVATION STATUS
Scientists have not studied this small frog in enough detail to learn what it eats. If it follows the pattern of the glass frogs and many other types of frogs, however, it eats small insects.
The World Conservation Union (IUCN) does not consider Ruthven's frog to be at risk. It lives in an area that is seldom visited by humans, and the frog is quite common there. The frog has not been studied well, however, and scientists are unsure where all of the populations are located. Some populations that have not yet been discovered may live in parts of the South American forest that are currently being logged.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Caldwell, Janalee P. "Diversity of Amazonian Anurans: The Role of Systematics and Phylogeny in Identifying Macroecological and Evolutionary Patterns." In Neotropical Biodiversity and Conservation, edited by A. C. Gibson. Los Angeles: Mildred E. Mathias Botanical Garden Miscellaneous Publications, 1996.
Showler, Dave. Frogs and Toads: A Golden Guide. New York: St. Martin's Press, 2004.
Zug, George. Herpetology: An Introductory Biology of Amphibians and Reptiles. San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 1993.
"Allophryne ruthveni." Swissherp. http://www.nouragues.cnrs.fr/NourAnimaux.htm (accessed on April 7, 2005).
"Genus Allophryne." Animal Diversity Web, University of Michigan Museum of Zoology. http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/classification/Allophryne.html#Allophryne (accessed on April 7, 2005).
"Pictures of Ruthven's Allophryne (Allophrynidae)." Swissherp. http://www.swissherp.org/Amphibians/Allophrynidae/Allophrynidae.html (accessed on April 7, 2005).
"Rapid Biological Inventories." The Field Museum. http://fm2.fieldmuseum.org/rbi/results_per11.asp (accessed on April 7, 2005).
- Glass Frogs: Centrolenidae - Physical Characteristics, Habitat, Behavior And Reproduction, Glass Frogs And People, Conservation Status, Lynch's Cochran Frog (cochranella Ignota): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, DIET
- Poison Frogs: Dendrobatidae - Physical Characteristics, Geographic Range, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Poison Frogs And People, Conservation Status - HABITAT
- Ruthven's Frog: Allophrynidae - Physical Characteristics
- Ruthven's Frog: Allophrynidae - Geographic Range
- Ruthven's Frog: Allophrynidae - Habitat
- Ruthven's Frog: Allophrynidae - Behavior And Reproduction
- Ruthven's Frog: Allophrynidae - Ruthven's Frogs And People
- Other Free Encyclopedias