Physical Characteristics, Habitat, Behavior And Reproduction, Weavers And People, Village Weaver (ploceus Cucullatus): Species AccountsGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, DIET, CONSERVATION STATUS
VILLAGE WEAVER (Ploceus cucullatus): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
BAYA WEAVER (Ploceus philippinus): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
SOUTHERN RED BISHOP (Euplectes orix): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
Weavers live mainly in tropical Africa, as well as Madagascar, southern Asia, and as far east as Borneo and Java. Some species have been introduced into non-native habitats, where they have quickly adapted and flourished.
The staple food for most weaver species is seeds of various wild grasses, supplemented with insects, spiders, freshwater snails, and fruits. They also help themselves to discarded scraps of human food.
The World Conservation Union (IUCN) lists six species of Ploceidae as Endangered, facing a very high risk of extinction, and seven as Vulnerable, facing a high risk of extinction. The main factor in declining populations of these species is habitat loss by humanity to agriculture and forestry.
- Kagu: Rhynochetidae - Physical Characteristics, Geographic Range, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Kagus And People, Conservation Status - HABITAT
- Trogons: Trogoniformes - Physical Characteristics, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Orange-breasted Trogon (harpactes Oreskios): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, TROGONS AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Weavers: Ploceidae - Physical Characteristics
- Weavers: Ploceidae - Habitat
- Weavers: Ploceidae - Behavior And Reproduction
- Weavers: Ploceidae - Weavers And People
- Weavers: Ploceidae - Village Weaver (ploceus Cucullatus): Species Accounts
- Weavers: Ploceidae - Baya Weaver (ploceus Philippinus): Species Accounts
- Weavers: Ploceidae - Southern Red Bishop (euplectes Orix): Species Accounts
- Other Free Encyclopedias