Physical Characteristics, Habitat, Diet, Swallows And People, Conservation Status, Barn Swallow (hirundo Rustica): Species AccountsGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, BEHAVIOR AND REPRODUCTION
AMERICAN CLIFF SWALLOW (Hirundo pyrrhonota): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
CRAG MARTIN (Ptyonoprogne rupestris): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
The majority of swallow species are found in Africa, but one can find swallows on virtually every major continent, except Antarctica and the high Arctic. They are also absent from New Zealand and other oceanic islands.
Most swallows form monogamous (muh-NAH-guh-mus) pairs. Some species build their nests either in natural or human-made holes, such as tree crevices or nesting boxes. Other species use mud pellets carried by the bill-full to create nests in caves or under human-made overhangs, such as bridges. Migrating species of swallows travel in huge flocks to warmer climates in the winter, and return with the warm weather and hatching insect population.
- New World Quails: Odontophoridae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Conservation Status, Northern Bobwhite Quail (colinus Virginianus): Species Account - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, NEW WORLD QUAILS AND PEOPLE
- New World Finches: Emberizidae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Song Sparrow (melospiza Melodia): Species Accounts, Snow Bunting (plectrophenax Nivalis): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, NEW WORLD FINCHES AND PEOPL
- Swallows: Hirundinidae - Physical Characteristics
- Swallows: Hirundinidae - Habitat
- Swallows: Hirundinidae - Diet
- Swallows: Hirundinidae - Swallows And People
- Swallows: Hirundinidae - Conservation Status
- Swallows: Hirundinidae - Barn Swallow (hirundo Rustica): Species Accounts
- Swallows: Hirundinidae - American Cliff Swallow (hirundo Pyrrhonota): Species Accounts
- Swallows: Hirundinidae - Crag Martin (ptyonoprogne Rupestris): Species Accounts
- Other Free Encyclopedias