Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Long-tailed Manakin (chiroxiphia Linearis): Species AccountsGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, MANAKINS AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
WIRE-TAILED MANAKIN (Pipra filicauda): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
Manakins are found continuously from Mexico to Argentina and on the Caribbean islands of Trinidad and Tobago. Manakins live year round in the same location. They do not migrate, or relocate seasonally.
Manakins prefer the understory, which is the part of the forest midway between the forest floor and the tops of the trees. They live in thick, subtropical woodlands and lowland tropical rainforests.
Manakins eat fruits and berries. They also eat insects that they snap out of the air during quick, short flights.
Both their beauty and their behavior make manakins attractive to birdwatchers and ecotourists who want to observe the natural world while leaving it as undisturbed as possible. In this way, manakins may have an indirect economic impact on tourism in some countries. In addition, the colorful males are often printed on souvenirs such as T-shirts and are represented on the postage stamps of several countries.
As of 2003, the Araripe manakin of Brazil was considered Critically Endangered, facing a extremely high risk of extinction in the wild. This manakin has been found only in one location, and its small population is under pressure from human development. Wied's tyrant-manakin, also found in Brazil, is Endangered, facing a very high risk of extinction. Two other Brazilian species are considered Vulnerable, facing a high risk of extinction.
- Geese Ducks Swans and Screamers: Anseriformes - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Conservation Status - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, GEESE DUCKS SWANS SCREAMERS AND PEOPLE
- Philippine Creepers: Rhabdornithidae - Physical Characteristics, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Conservation Status, Stripe-headed Rhabdornis (rhabdornis Mysticalis): Species Account - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, PHILIPPINE CREEPERS AND PEOPLE
- Manakins: Pipridae - Physical Characteristics
- Manakins: Pipridae - Behavior And Reproduction
- Manakins: Pipridae - Long-tailed Manakin (chiroxiphia Linearis): Species Accounts
- Manakins: Pipridae - Wire-tailed Manakin (pipra Filicauda): Species Accounts
- Other Free Encyclopedias