Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Potoos And People, Gray Potoo (nyctibius Griseus): Species AccountGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, CONSERVATION STATUS
Potoos live in Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Uruguay, Nicaragua, Colombia, Venezuela, French Guiana, Guyana, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Bolivia, Argentina, Tobago, Jamaica, Hispaniola, and Trinidad.
Potoos live in rainforests, where rain throughout the year produces abundant growth. The birds live in coniferous or evergreen forests, where trees don't undergo seasonal change and shed leaves. Potoos also live in trees in grassland areas called savannas, where there are only a few trees.
Potoos eat flying insects like beetles, moths, termites, crickets, grasshoppers, and fireflies. Birds fly after their prey and catch it in the air. However, they sometimes take prey off of a plant or tree.
Potoos are not in danger of extinction (dying out), according to guidelines from the World Conservation Union (IUCN). However, the number of birds has dropped as habitat is lost when trees are cut down.
- New World Finches: Emberizidae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Song Sparrow (melospiza Melodia): Species Accounts, Snow Bunting (plectrophenax Nivalis): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, NEW WORLD FINCHES AND PEOPL
- Fowls and Pheasants: Phasianidae - Behavior And Reproduction, Fowls And Pheasants And People, Wild Turkey (meleagris Gallopavo): Species Accounts - PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS, GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Potoos: Nyctibiidae - Physical Characteristics
- Potoos: Nyctibiidae - Behavior And Reproduction
- Potoos: Nyctibiidae - Potoos And People
- Potoos: Nyctibiidae - Gray Potoo (nyctibius Griseus): Species Account
- Other Free Encyclopedias