Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Seriemas And People, Red-legged Seriema (cariama Cristata): Species AccountPHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS, GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, CONSERVATION STATUS
Seriemas range in size from about 28 to 35 inches (70 to 90 centimeters) in length and 2.6 to 3.3 pounds (1.2 to 1.5 kilograms) in weight. They have long legs, long tails, long necks, and short, rounded wings. Seriemas have sturdy, hooked bills that resemble those of hawks. Their backs and necks are light brown in color, whereas the belly is pale or white. Male and female seriemas are similar in size and general appearance.
Seriemas are found in central and eastern South America, from portions of Brazil to as far south as Argentina.
Seriemas are found in grassland habitats as well as areas of open forest or brushland.
The two species of seriemas are not currently considered threatened. However, their populations are declining in some areas due to hunting and habitat destruction.
- Bee-Eaters: Meropidae - Physical Characteristics, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Bee-eaters And People, Purple-bearded Bee-eater (meropogon Forsteni): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Albatrosses: Diomedeidae - Physical Characteristics, Habitat, Behavior And Reproduction, Chatham Mollymawk (diomedea Cauta Eremita): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, DIET, ALBATROSSES AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Seriemas: Cariamidae - Diet
- Seriemas: Cariamidae - Behavior And Reproduction
- Seriemas: Cariamidae - Seriemas And People
- Seriemas: Cariamidae - Red-legged Seriema (cariama Cristata): Species Account
- Other Free Encyclopedias