Ibises and Spoonbills: Threskiornithidae
Physical Characteristics, Ibises And Spoonbills, And People, Conservation Status, Sacred Ibis (threskiornis Aethiopicus): Species AccountsGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, BEHAVIOR AND REPRODUCTION
ROSEATE SPOONBILL (Ajaia ajaja): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
Ibises and spoonbills are spread widely across the world where the temperatures are moderate or warm.
Most ibises and spoonbills live in wetlands or in wooded areas near water, but some can be found in dry grasslands and on mountains. They are also attracted to farms and rice fields.
Spoonbills and ibises usually use their sensitive bills to hunt by touch in shallow water or mud. They eat mostly small fish, water insects, frogs, shrimp, and other small water animals. Some of them also eat carrion, dead animals, and feed at garbage dumps.
When spoonbills and ibises fly, they stick their necks and legs straight out. They are sociable birds, and they usually feed and roost in large groups. It is not unusual to find them with other species of wading birds, including storks and herons. Many of them also move around with big flocks and they breed in large groups called colonies. The parents share the work of building the nest, sitting on the eggs, and feeding as many as five chicks.
- Australian Creepers: Climacteridae - Physical Characteristics, Geographic Range, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Rufous Treecreeper (climacteris Rufa): Species Account - HABITAT, AUSTRALIAN CREEPERS AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Ovenbirds: Furnariidae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Rufous Hornero (furnarius Rufus): Species Accounts, Greater Thornbird (phacellodomus Ruber): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, OVENBIRDS AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATI
- Ibises and Spoonbills: Threskiornithidae - Physical Characteristics
- Ibises and Spoonbills: Threskiornithidae - Ibises And Spoonbills, And People
- Ibises and Spoonbills: Threskiornithidae - Conservation Status
- Ibises and Spoonbills: Threskiornithidae - Sacred Ibis (threskiornis Aethiopicus): Species Accounts
- Ibises and Spoonbills: Threskiornithidae - Roseate Spoonbill (ajaia Ajaja): Species Accounts
- Other Free Encyclopedias