Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Octodonts And People, Degu (octodon Degus): Species AccountGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, CONSERVATION STATUS
Octodonts are found in southwest Peru, Chile, Argentina, and southwest Bolivia.
The octodont habitat ranges from coastal scrub brush to barren rocky outcroppings in mountains. They are found in desert, deciduous forest, grassland, and foothills.
Octodonts are herbivores, meaning they eat only plants. All but one species eat mainly at night. The degu feeds during the early morning and early evening. Most species eat a diet of grass, leaves, herbs, bark, and seeds. The coruro feeds mostly on underground portions of plants.
The Mocha Island degu is listed by the World Conservation Union (IUCN) as Vulnerable, facing a high risk of extinction, due to their small distribution area. The plains viscacha rat is listed as Vulnerable due to a loss of at least 20 percent of its population within ten years. Other species are not listed by IUCN.
- Gliding and Striped Possums: Petauridae - Physical Characteristics, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Gliding And Striped Possums And People, Sugar Glider (petaurus Breviceps): Species Account - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Tarsiers: Tarsiidae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Tarsiers And People, Conservation Status, Philippine Tarsier (tarsius Syrichta): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET
- Octodonts: Octodontidae - Physical Characteristics
- Octodonts: Octodontidae - Behavior And Reproduction
- Octodonts: Octodontidae - Octodonts And People
- Octodonts: Octodontidae - Degu (octodon Degus): Species Account
- Other Free Encyclopedias