Physical Characteristics, Habitat, Diet, Behavior And ReproductionGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, AARDVARKS AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
Though not common anywhere, aardvarks live primarily in the grassland and woodlands of the part of Africa south of the Sahara desert. They have also been seen in rainforests.
European colonialists hunted aardvarks for their meat and hide. Africans continue to hunt aardvarks and consider it a sport as well as a means of survival.
Aardvarks are classified as Vulnerable, facing a high risk of extinction in the wild, by the World Conservation Union (IUCN).
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Joyce, Peter. From Aardvark to Zebra: Secrets of African Wildlife. Cape Town, South Africa: Struik, 2000.
McColaugh, Doreen Wolfson. Wild Lives Guidebook. African Wildlife Federation, 1997. Online at http://www.awf.org/wildlives/60 (accessed on July 9, 2004).
African Wildlife Federation. http://www.awf.org (accessed on July 9, 2004).
"Science & Nature: Animals." BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/reallywild/amazing/aardvark.shtml (accessed on July 9, 2004).
- Capybara: Hydrochaeridae - Physical Characteristics, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Capybaras And People - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Lemurs: Lemuridae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Conservation Status, Ringtailed Lemur (lemur Catta): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, LEMURS AND PEOPLE
- Aardvark: Tubulidentata - Physical Characteristics
- Aardvark: Tubulidentata - Habitat
- Aardvark: Tubulidentata - Diet
- Aardvark: Tubulidentata - Behavior And Reproduction
- Other Free Encyclopedias