Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Malayan Colugo (cynocephalus Variegatus): Species AccountGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, COLUGOS AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
The Philippine colugo is found only in the Philippines, and the Malayan colugo is found in Borneo, Peninsular Malaysia, Thailand, Indochina, and some of the Indonesian islands.
Colugos live in the rainforest. They are often found in coconut, banana, and rubber plantations. Their habitat must contain many trees with few branches low on the trunk.
Colugos are herbivores, animals that eat plants. They feed on leaves, buds, flowers, and occasionally fruits. They get their water from food and also by licking wet leaves.
Deforestation, clearing trees, of the rainforest by people has caused the loss of colugo habitat and thus, a decrease in their population. Some people also hunt colugos for their fur to make caps, and for food. Plantation growers, especially banana, coconut, and rubber growers, may consider these animals pests because they eat the reproductive flowers and fruits of the trees.
The Philippine colugo is considered Vulnerable, facing a high risk of extinction in the wild.
- Genets Civets and Linsangs: Viverridae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Viverrids And People, Conservation Status, African Civet (civettictis Civetta;): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET
- Deer: Cervidae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Conservation Status, Siberian Musk Deer (moschus Moschiferus): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, DEER AND PEOPLE
- Colugos: Dermoptera - Physical Characteristics
- Colugos: Dermoptera - Behavior And Reproduction
- Colugos: Dermoptera - Malayan Colugo (cynocephalus Variegatus): Species Account
- Other Free Encyclopedias