Pygmy Possums: Burramyidae
Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Conservation Status, Eastern Pygmy Possum (cercartetus Nanus): Species AccountGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, PYGMY POSSUMS AND PEOPLE
Pygmy possums live in central New Guinea, Tasmania, and southeastern and southwestern Australia.
Most pygmy possums live in wet forest areas with evergreen or eucalyptus (yoo-kah-LIP-tus) trees. One species, the mountain pygmy possum, lives in the tropical mountain rainforest of New Guinea above 4,900 feet (1,500 meters).
Different species of pygmy possums have different diets, ranging from plant pollen and nectar to insects to small lizards. The long-tailed pygmy possum eats mainly insects, but will also feed on flowers. The eastern pygmy possum eats mainly pollen and nectar. The mountain pygmy possum eats seeds, fruit, insects, and other small animals. All species of pygmy possum are eaten by owls, feral (wild) cats, snakes, and carnivorous (meat-eating) marsupial mammals.
Pygmy possums are not known to have any significance to humans except to those interested in scientific study. Species that feed on plant nectar and pollen may be responsible for helping to extend the range of these plants.
- Sportive Lemurs: Lepilemuridae - Physical Characteristics, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Red-tailed Sportive Lemur (lepilemur Ruficaudatus): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, BIOMES, HABITAT, SPORTIVE LEMURS AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Agoutis: Dasyproctidae - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Central American Agouti (dasyprocta Punctata): Species Account - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, AGOUTIS AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Pygmy Possums: Burramyidae - Physical Characteristics
- Pygmy Possums: Burramyidae - Behavior And Reproduction
- Pygmy Possums: Burramyidae - Conservation Status
- Pygmy Possums: Burramyidae - Eastern Pygmy Possum (cercartetus Nanus): Species Account
- Other Free Encyclopedias