Chewing and Sucking Lice: Phthiraptera
Physical Characteristics, Habitat, Behavior And Reproduction, Chewing And Sucking Lice And People, Human Head/body Louse (pediculus Humanus): Species AccountsGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, DIET, CONSERVATION STATUS
SLENDER PIGEON LOUSE (Columbicola columbae): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
Chewing and sucking lice are found on all continents, including Antarctica. The distribution of lice is roughly similar to that of the birds and mammals on which they live. However, their distribution within the host population is not uniform. They are usually quite patchy or concentrated in some areas. There are 4,927 species of lice worldwide, with about 780 species in the United States and Canada.
The sucking lice feed exclusively on the blood of mammals. They use their mouthparts to pierce the skin of their host and suck up blood from the small blood vessels located near the skin surface. Chewing lice use their biting mouthparts to feed on feathers, hair, bits of skin, dried blood, and other skin secretions.
Only one species of louse is listed by the World Conservation Union (IUCN). The pygmy hog louse is listed as Endangered or facing a very high risk of extinction in the wild. Its host, the pygmy hog of India, is also listed as Endangered.
- Cicadas True Bugs and Relatives: Hemiptera - Physical Characteristics, Habitat, Diet, Behavior And Reproduction, Hemipterans And People, Conservation Status - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE
- Barklice Psocids and Book Lice: Psocoptera - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Book Louse (liposcelis Bostrychophila): Species Accounts - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, PSOCIDS AND PEOPLE, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Chewing and Sucking Lice: Phthiraptera - Physical Characteristics
- Chewing and Sucking Lice: Phthiraptera - Habitat
- Chewing and Sucking Lice: Phthiraptera - Behavior And Reproduction
- Chewing and Sucking Lice: Phthiraptera - Chewing And Sucking Lice And People
- Chewing and Sucking Lice: Phthiraptera - Human Head/body Louse (pediculus Humanus): Species Accounts
- Chewing and Sucking Lice: Phthiraptera - Slender Pigeon Louse (columbicola Columbae): Species Accounts
- Other Free Encyclopedias