Velvet Worms: Onychophora
Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Conservation Status, No Common Name (epiperipatus Biolleyi): Species AccountGEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, VELVET WORMS AND PEOPLE
Velvet worms are found in Mexico, Central America, Chile, tropical West Africa, South Africa, southeast Asia, New Guinea, Australia, and New Zealand.
All velvet worms live in leaf litter, under stones or logs, or in soil in moist and humid habitats, such as tropical and subtropical forests.
Velvet worms are carnivores (KAR-nih-vorz), or meat eaters, and eat mainly insects, spiders, other arthropods, and snails.
Velvet worms are particularly valuable research animals. Their distributions are studied to help track the movements of continents over millions of years. Their sticky slime is also being studied as a possible glue for special kinds of surgery.
- Water Bears: Tardigrada - Physical Characteristics, Behavior And Reproduction, Water Bears And People, Giant Yellow Water Bear (richtersius Coronifer): Species Account - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, HABITAT, DIET, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Echiurans: Echiura - Physical Characteristics, Habitat, Behavior And Reproduction, Echiurans And People, Green Bonellia (bonellia Viridis): Species Account - GEOGRAPHIC RANGE, DIET, CONSERVATION STATUS
- Velvet Worms: Onychophora - Physical Characteristics
- Velvet Worms: Onychophora - Behavior And Reproduction
- Velvet Worms: Onychophora - Conservation Status
- Velvet Worms: Onychophora - No Common Name (epiperipatus Biolleyi): Species Account
- Other Free Encyclopedias